Monday, February 13, 2012

Good Morning?

Hang on to your venti triple shot soy lattes and Red Bulls kids, you're in for a snooze fest!

I've never really looked at my insomnia as a particularly bad thing, just a part of who I am. The part that helps me stay awake doing projects til all hours of the morning and the part that keeps Clinique in business purely based on my under eye concealer purchases.

You're welcome Clinique.

However my brand new iPhone has sparked a brand new obsession: Sleep Cycle App. Somehow this app is able to tell whether I am awake, sleeping, or deep sleeping just by placing it on the corner of my mattress. It also has the good grace to wake me up to a beautiful melody when it has calculated that I am about to wake up on my own. Then it tells me to have a great day.

Don't mind if I do.

So two nights ago I settled in for my first sleep that would be judged by a cell phone. Never thought I would say that.

Always aiming to for a good grade, I layed as still as I could, not moving a muscle, breathing as softly as I could, tricking this device into believing that I was sleeping like a beauty...for two hours.

Fake it til you make it, honey!

If only Sofi new that we were playing pretend with Sleep Cycle App. She refused to stay still and sleep despite me hissing to her that this was important to me and that she would get a really big treat if she could just play dead.

Finally we 'slept'.

I woke up MUCH before Sleep Cycle has the chance to welcome me to the world naturally and slowly. The excitement to see my stats was too overwhelming. And then I saw them.


Went to bed: 12:22
Woke up: 6:22
Total time: 5h 59m
Fail.

What the hell was going on at 4 am?? I blame Sofi. She NEVER stops moving. I clocked a piddly six hours and felt like Mr. Sandman had chased me, punched me in the guts, and robbed me of any energy I may have had.

Never one to refuse a wildly unhealthy competition with myself, I brushed it off thinking, 'Tonights the night, Sleep Cycle App, you're MINE'.

Armed with a handful of sleeping pills and a bottle of NyQuil, I had a stern talk with Sofi about behaviour and hit the sheets.

Went to bed: 11:42
Woke up: 7:06
Total time: 7h 24m

Meh, it's an improvement. And the 4 am debacle was that Sofi having an asthma attack which is a pretty accurate indicator that I'm past due to dust and vacuum my home. Or maybe the pressure of playing dead was too much for her.

Anyways, as usual, my obsessions subside as quickly as they take hold of me and Sleep Cycle App has now been removed (or will be once I can figure that out). There is enough pressure on me on a regular basis, I don't want to be pressured into faking sleep.

If you are still awake and reading about my issues with lack of sleep at this point, I am very proud of you. You clearly caught enough zzz's of your own last night.

More than this little sleep disturber.


With Sleep Cycle App and obsession removed, I can stay awake as late as I want to now, no apologies, no judging devices. And plenty of time on my hands to find a new obsession to occupy me.

Or to dust my house.

Or to shop for under eye concealer at the 24 hour drug store.

Or to snuggle the cutest little angel I have ever known.

Or maybe with the pressure to sleep gone I can finally track down Mr. Sandman.

He owes me an apology.

No comments:

Post a Comment